Saturday, December 21, 2013

If I could write a letter to me

Welcome one and all, to the view from the Sun I am, as always, your host Eros Helios. Procrastination is a hell of a drug. I've been meaning to write this blog for the last two weeks, and I just now, finally got around to writing it. Yes, procrastination is a habit that I wish I did not have. So, without further ado, I bring to you, the view from the Sun!

A number of years ago, Brad Paisley sang a song about writing a letter to his younger self. Upon thinking about it, I wonder what I would say to myself, if given the opportunity, in a letter. How would I prove it was me? How would I convince my younger self that it was imperative to listen to me?

If I could write a letter to me, and send it to myself at 14, I'd prove it's me by saying, only things that I would know at that age. I'd tell myself not to worry, that things can get better if you try. Health isn't anything to mess around with, focus on you and let the rest fall in line.

Don't quit school, don't fall in with the wrong people. Those that say they're your friends may not be so sincere. Someday, one in particular will come back to haunt you.

Don't forget to tell your family the truth. How much you love them, protect Michael and Shirley, but give them space. Don't forget about Grandma, spend as much time as you can with her.

Believe in yourself, and the world shall move for you. Don't let the doubts creep in and destroy your dreams. Don't fall for the wrong girl just because she's the first one to show you some affection. She's bad for you, like a poison.

Focus on learning as much as you can.

Learn as much as you can, learn as many languages as possible. Don't forget to be yourself. Don't let anyone change you. Make up your own mind, one belief isn't better than the other.

Above all else, be true to you, and remember, you can do great things if only you believe in yourself. It doesn't matter how many people believe in you, if you don't you won't succeed.

The best thing about this, is it's pertinent to me even now. I know some things are beyond my control, I can't get back the days I missed out on with my grandma, and I can't take back marrying the wrong girl, but everything else is as applicable, if not more so than if I were able to send this letter to a fourteen year old me.

Well, that about does it for me, however, I'd like to do my best and after the holidays, start either bi-weekly or weekly writing. Some of it may be good, some iffy, and some of it bad, but hey, it could be worse. Thanks for reading, and as always, enjoy the view, and stay sunny.

1 comment: