Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas (is the time)

Welcome everyone, to The View from the Sun, I am as always, your host, Erik Abbey. Today being December 23, I'd like to take a moment of your time to explain to you what Christmas means to me. First and foremost, yes, regardless of my personal beliefs and religion, it is, was and always will be, Christmas! No "happy holidays" for me, however if you are of a different religion, please, feel free to wish me a merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, merry Kwanzaa, whatever you might be celebrating, I promise to not get offended. That being said, it's time. Close your eyes, and dream of sugar plums dancing in your head. Wake up to the bright sun because this is The View from the Sun, and it's a Merry Christmas-y kind of day.

Christmas, to me, is one of the very few times throughout the year, where I believe that magic can exist. I love the wonderful music, (even if I have heard that particular version of "White Christmas" a hundred times today), I love the food, snacks and treats(a little more than I probably should), but the thing I love the most, is getting to spend time with my friends and family. Reminiscing about years past, and thinking of the future Christmas celebrations. Looking forward to the brand new year.

Some Christmas's seem more special than others. I don't know why, it just happens. I'll never forget the times when I was a youngster, and we'd spend Christmas eve at my grandmothers, celebrating the birth of Christ, and then we'd go over the next day, after going up to my Grandma and Grandpa's, and open gifts and have dinner. Spending time with my cousins, aunts and uncles, and my Grandmother especially, was fantastic. Looking back on those times, I feel like I took it all for granted. I thought that all the good times would last, that we'd all stay a tight knit family. Things and people change, but my memory stays the same.

To me, there is nothing more magical than a white Christmas. This year, we might have one, but it doesn't look like it's a definite. I'm hoping for it. I don't think a Christmas celebration can be considered complete without the Christmas classic clay-mation, stop-motion, corny ass specials. Rudolph, Frosty, Santa Claus is coming to town, and the newer, supposed classics, like Polar Express, and Elf. I love reliving the days of my youth. I remember setting up our family Christmas tree while watching Rudolph or Frosty. I hope that those shows never die, and are considered proper Christmas traditions for many, many years.

There is no doubt that, after my own birthday, Christmas is my favorite holiday, followed closely by Halloween (weird, right?). It's not a secret, I love the feeling of togetherness that most people get during Christmas, and I don't even love the presents like I once did. I can't say that I don't like them, but as a youth, they seem much more important than they do as an adult. I'm proud of that. I don't want to be a materialistic person.

I sincerely hope that all who read my blogs and even those who don't, have a Merry Christmas, and if that isn't your thing, a Happy Hanukkah, or a Merry Kwanzaa if that's what you celebrate, and of course a HAPPY NEW YEAR! It's that time again to sign off. Two blogs in less than a week? Is there something wrong with me? Nah, just trying to be productive and such with my writing. I hope that you enjoyed my take on Christmas, and I thank you for reading my little blog, here in my little corner of the internet. I hope you'll join me again in the very near future. Remember to stay sunny, my friends. The future is bright, if you make it so.

1 comment:

  1. you made me cry twice in one week it is very nice and I love you very much

    ReplyDelete